Since September, 1958 Franklin First has melded four Franklin County credit unions into one. Those four credit unions originated as the Franklin County Public Hospital FCU, Franklin County Teachers FCU, Lunt Silversmiths and Greenfield Tap & Die Credit Unions.
Brought together by common goals and the desire to offer updated services for their members, the four credit unions successfully applied for a community charter status with the National Credit Union Administration in 2000, five years after opening our new building at 57 Newton Street in Greenfield.
This charter means that anyone who lives, works, attends school or worships in Franklin County can now join our credit union. We currently serve over 7,000 members at Franklin First. Our assets have grown too – from $.5 million in 1984 to over $50 million in 2017.
Franklin First has come a very long way since our “closets and corners” days at each of our original credit union sites, and we expect that change will continue to be a constant companion for us as we strive to better serve our members’ needs and integrate the new technologies and resources that will help us to deliver the best service possible. One thing that won’t change at Franklin First, however, is our awareness that each member is an owner and that people, not profits, are our highest priority.